Bright-Eyed and Bushy-Tailed
There was a saying the headmistress of my school used when she found us nice little girls all slouching and sloping in our chairs. She would say, "Now, gels, I want you all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed! Sit-up-straight! Hands-in-your-lap! One-foot-on-the-instep-of-the-other!" These were usually delivered once a week when the venerable old maid would stand at the podium surveying us. She would actually book a period she fancifully called "G.I." - or general instruction, in which we were taught all the useful intricacies of how to properly eat peas ("mash them, don't chase after them on your plate, dear") to how to sit down without flashing your fanny when wearing a short dress.
Useful as these desultory talks may have been, I always found myself wanting to doze off. (For the record, I did pay attention and I do tend to sit up straight, sometimes with hands in lap and all that.)
Right now, I feel like I want to sleep. After a hearty lunch of baked-potato-and-butter with a while box of Boursin cheese and a side salad I could just curl up and sleep at the nearest workstation. Unfortunately, this being an open plan office, it would be very obvious if I did so.
What a contrast from last week and yesterday.
Last Wednesday, on a whim, I started scanning job sites and applied for a number of likely-looking posts. One post I applied for was for a job in the east end of Glasgow, not too far, with a substantially better salary. Within 20 minutes of me posting for the job, I received a phone call from the recruiter. We arranged to meet on the Friday, after she had sent a copy of the job profile. Within minutes of her sending off my CV to the firm, she got a phonecall asking her to arrange an interview with me. I took a half-day off of work yesterday to see them and I was quite impressed. I think they were impressed with me. I answered all the questions, provided the right kind of persona, and everything went super well. I should hear from them this week.
My manager is aware and has even mentionned a salary increase to try and keep me on. I'm quite flattered but frankly, I want out. I'm so bored here. And restless.
Husband is now impressed and wants to start looking for jobs himself in Ireland.
<< Home