Touching from a distance... further all the time...
It was four years ago today that I flew out to Scotland for the first time, to visit Ken. It was my first trip outside the continent in nearly 13 years. I remember being nervous about flying. I remember packing far too much for just a 10-day trip. And I remember the agony of nearly missing my connection in London.
I woke up yesterday morning at 6:00 to start my swim routine again. In the hallway, on the green felt chair I bought at IKEA, there was a tin heart-shaped box and a card. Ken, ever the romantic, manages to convey his love in 6 words what would take me pages of prose... and poetry. If brevity is the soul of wit then Ken's witty indeed.
So what a bright early start it was. I go for a nice brief swim and off to work and bump into Zoolander getting off the train. He's back from his long weekend back home.
"Hey! I have something for you."
"Oh?"
"One box for the girl who didn't ask for anything as well as one for the girl who did. Here you go," says he as he pulls out a plastic bag concealing a nicely wrapped box of Belgian chocolates. That's now TWO boxes of fine handmade chocolates I receive on Valentine's Day: the biggest V-Day haul ever. How sweet! So I was on cloud nine the whole day.
But it didn't end there. I got home later that night to be greeted with a hug and a kiss and the smell of something wonderful in the kitchen. A lamb tagine. Cooked over the period of 24 hours. It was literally finger-lickin' good.
<< Home