The Semiosis that ate Scotland

If you think appearances are deceiving, then you are just easily deceived

Monday, August 08, 2005

High Jinx and Misdemeanours

Zoolander, a native Flemish-speaking, self-proclaimed casanova (or Mr. Two-Minute Man, as he is now known by all the girls at work), has just been promoted to "Benelux Team Leader". This will be interesting. His roommate, Angelface, won't be too amused but he's looking to leave the company AND move out since he's had enough of Zoolander's extremely moody outbursts (he's much worse than me, honestly).

What a strange world.

Yesterday, I spent a whole FOUR HOURS working on Timon's CV with him at home. He came by for brunch, just minutes before my husband and I had an almighty row. This one was over TV remotes. We have about 276 of them, and none of them work properly. After numerous hints, frustrated nights trying to work the DVD and the surround sound system I hurled the "universal" (hah!) remote on the ground and smashed it to bits. No more universal remote!

Before you all say anything, please bear in mind that this is usually how it work in our happy marriage. I'll say something to Dear Husband about getting something fixed or done, he'll say "Yeah." and nothing gets done. This will continue for months on end until finally, I get a back ache, depression and PMS all in one and the remote control is smashed to smithereens. I hate passive aggressive behaviour.

I also feel stuck into this role, as I cannot reason with someone who ignores my repeated requests and I loathe working myself into a lather.

And I don't know how the damned remotes work either because Dear Husband keeps fiddling with them: new remotes, new add-on accessories, new headaches.

"You're coming to the shop to pick out a DVD."

Excellent. We shall see.

But what a supremely crappy weekend we had. It started off on Friday night when Dear Husband declared to our financial analyst that we would be staying in Glasgow for 1-2 more years.

WHAT??!! This is news. I thought we'd get the hell out of here by Spring 2006. A deep gloom settled into me.... two more Scottish winters.... two more years of living in this shitty country. We HAVE to move out of this flat.

My back still hurt and I was exhausted but we went out on Friday night anyway, met up with Mari and her friend from back home in Austria. We went to the Oran Mor , a converted church now a venue with bar, restuarant, theatre, disco. The interior is not all that great... they could done a much better job. The crowd is incredibly ugly and the staff REALLY slow to serve but it's still a beautiful building on the outside. And there's a make-shift terrace on the lawn that's set up on sunny days.

But I was so stressed and tired that I didn't really enjoy it. I probably would have been happier in bed! :)

Saturday I could barely move: just lay in bed or on couches recovering. And Sunday, well, I already mentionned. What a waste. We should have left town.