The Semiosis that ate Scotland

If you think appearances are deceiving, then you are just easily deceived

Sunday, August 07, 2005

Back still hurting, II

You know, it's one of the greatest ironies, that I should still have this backache, which effectively prevents me from exercising or straining myself. I hate carrying large items. I used to carry very heavy loads when I was younger, on a constant basis. I would invest in a good college rucksack and carry everything from my books and journal, to toiletries, spare maxi pads, deodorant, citrus eau de toilette in a handy spritz bottle, make-up, tissues packs, maps, bus schedules. I was a hiker in my own city. But I was younger and stronger then.... still in my teens and early twenties.

Nowadays I am considering buying a Smartcar so I can pootle around the city and drive to a decent gym with a good pool rather than deal with the chaotic and unreliable public transport here. But I need a feckin' driver's license first!

Anyway, it's high time I do something about my body. I can't put it off much longer, the backache is a sure sign and in order for me to get pregnant, it would be highly advisable if I shed SOME (not ALL) weight. Not because of health, but because the damned narrow-minded European doctors will use my weight as an excuse for shitty doctoring. And while that's tolerable for me (since I rarely see them, I hate doctors - sanctimonious assholes all of them), I'd have to rely on one for pre-natal care. So rather than endure a humiliating litany of lectures, I'll bite the bullet and shed the pounds. But I am NOT aiming to be thin. I'm way past that now. I don't care about what others think. No matter how much weight I lose, I'm still going to freak the teeny weeny continental types. After all, I'm damned near six feet tall. The delicate little euro barbies run for cover when they see me!

Ohhh I am in such an evil mood. Backache, menstrual cramps, a whopping summer cold coming down and stress at work. I'm only glad that I've finally got the housemaids trained to do the job properly and that marital bliss still abounds. And it's gloriously sunny and warm in Glasgow this weekend. Not bad.