Stream of Consciousness I
If there is one thing I hate, it is people who talk during presentations, seminars or meetings. I'm not talking about the odd whisper, but someone who just ignores what the presenter is saying and is blabbing on to his mate like it's nobody's business. And it's worse when they are first whispering loudly, then talking low. Half of me is listening to what they are saying and half is trying to follow the meeting. But all of me is irritated because I fint this rude to the presenters and distracting to the attendants.
I remember having to host seminars on web editing at this one place I worked. I was very nervous, having to teach a subject no one was familiar with and even less motivated about. I don't particularly enjoy having to get up in front of a group of people and talk. I don't mind small groups but big ones tend to be a bit difficult.
It's always the ones at the back, who are least motivated, who are so sure of themselves and who tend to know nothing about what is being talked about who are the worst. And then they ask stupid questions.
If you don't want to listen, LEAVE. Or doodle on a page. But pretty please, for my sake and others, SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT YOUR PERSONAL LIVES! This is neither the time nor the place to discuss.
It tickles me to see presenters lash back. The best tricks are the ones in parliament, where the speaker stands still until the hecklers have finished.
Oh yeah, that's another peeve of mine: people who don't LISTEN. Or who talk over you or cut you off. Never asking for permission to speak.
I don't think I'd want to be a teacher. I have a tremendous amount of respect for teachers - the abuse that they have to put up with is criminal. Sometimes I wish they'd bring back whippings - some high school students richly deserve it.
We're in a sorry state in this society today. Teachers being physically assaulted, parents who can't even discipline their children properly without social services on their case. But put a chain-smoking, unemployed and generally useless parent or guardian to raise a litter of hoodlums and they get ignored. The criminals and delinquents get off easy and we have to pay.
Sometimes I think what western society needs is a moral shake-up. I don't know how. Undiscipline is so rife and yet I wouldn't trust church or state to enforce morals that benefit humans without them corrupting the system.
My brother-in-law used to say that post-Franco Spain went from utter oppression to utter libertine-ness. One day they were whipped into submission, the next thing you know everyone parties like it's the end of the world.
I can't say that my personal views are either left or right, conservative or liberal. I'm for freedom of choice but I'm also for respect of others. I think sex should be taught in schools but I don't think 10-year-olds should get pregnant. I think drugs should be legal and regulated but I don't think we should party so much, destroying liver, neurons and lungs in the process. I grew up with people who aged before their time because they took the rave/alternative/clubbing/gigs movement to heart and partied every night til dawn. And then people are amazed as to why I look so young.
There's no secret to "anti-aging" (what a load of bollocks) other than sensible living (for us poor) and cosmetic surgery (for the rich).
<< Home